Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Britain's fattest woman who ate herself to death despite undergoing gastric band operation

Sharon in hospital just months before she died
Birthday celebrations: Sharon Mevsimler smiles while her family sing to her with a cake in hospital in April.

These are the last pictures of Sharon Mevsimler – Britain’s fattest woman who ate herself to death.
Surrounded by her family, the 41-year-old can be seen celebrating her birthday with a huge cake - while confined to a reinforced hospital bed.
The mother-of-four's weight peaked at 45stone before she underwent gastric band surgery to prevent her from gorging on fatty foods, such as chocolate and takeaways.


Family support: Sharon with (l-r) Jayden, Paige, Emrah, Tyler and her mum Anne in Broomfield Hospital
However, in her last interview before suffering a heart attack at the weekend, Mrs Mevsimler told how she regretted having the operation because it restricted the amount she could eat.
She said she was left ‘exhausted’ and ‘annoyed’ because she was forced to chew her favourite foods properly – one of the requirements of the £10,000 surgery which for six years she had begged the NHS to pay for.
And, despite her being on a strict diet, Mrs Mevsimler’s family would sneak in fish and chips or family sized buckets of chicken to her bedside in Broomfield Hospital, in Chelmsford, Essex.
Mrs Mevsimler, who could not leave her reinforced bed, said: ‘I thought surgery was the easiest way to lose weight fast.
‘I hated my life and wanted to play with my kids like a normal mum. But now I’m even more miserable because I’m struggling to eat food like chocolate and takeaways.
‘If I’d listened to doctors and taken the diet route instead of surgery, at least I could’ve had the odd piece of chocolate or cake.
‘But with a gastric bypass I have to chew for ages, which can be exhausting, so I don’t manage to eat as much.’
When 5ft tall Mrs Mevsimler met her husband, Bulent, 47, who gave up work to care for her, in 1989, she weighed just 8stone.
However, she started piling on the pounds after giving birth to her children – a son, now 19, a daughter, 17, and a 16-year-old twin son and daughter.
She was eating up to 12,000 calories a day – 10,000 more than the recommended daily amount for women – and would often binge on a tin of Quality Streets and biscuits while the family was sleeping.
She told Closer magazine: ‘I put on lots of pregnancy weight and eating became a way of coping when I was tired or stressed.
‘I loved fried chicken and fish and chips, which I’d eat for dinner, and I ate big fry-ups for breakfast
The full-time mother, who started using a mobility scooter when her weight reached 35stone, also revealed: ‘I knew Bulent had stopped fancying me – we hadn’t had sex for 10 years.’
In 2003, Mrs Mevsimler was told she would have to get down to 30stone to have a gastric band fitted.
But, by the following year, she weighed 41stone – so the NHS paid for a six-month stint at the £5,000-a-week Priory Hospital in London, but Mrs Mevsimler left because ‘there were too many smelly vegetables. The thought of it still makes me feel ill’.
In May 2009, the NHS agreed to the gastric bypass operation, which Mrs Mevsimler underwent the following month, weighing 39stone.
She was then allowed home and started to lose more than a stone a month – but, despite losing 23stone, she wasn’t happy.
She said: ‘Doctors told me I could only eat small amounts of liquidised food and fluid every 30 minutes and I had to chew it really well, which was annoying, but I stuck to it.’
However, in November 2009, Mrs Mevsimler woke to find she could not feel her legs – and was admitted to a nursing home with 24-hour care.
She was then rushed to hospital from her home in Chelmsford in June where she slipped into a coma after developing septicemia.
Mrs Mevsimler, who was told she was malnourished, was saved by strong antibiotics – but she continued to gorge on fatty foods.
She said: I couldn’t eat as much as before the op, but I missed chocolate and cake so I’d occasionally eat some.
‘I tend to have ice cream every day now, as that’s easy for me to digest.

No comments: